San Diego: Let’s Ban Skateboarding

Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:04 —by DLS
This item was posted in General category and has 47 Comments so far.

Photo: Photos.com

Call me square but I’ve never understood the fascination with kids and skateboarding

When I was growing up, bike riding was the thing to do, not skateboarding. Over the years, skateboarding has quickly taken center stage much to many adults’ horror.

A recent accident reported in Carlsbad last Friday night is one of the many reasons that I think we should ban skateboarding in ALL public places.

Apparently, a 16-year-old skateboarder was run over by his friend’s pick-up while he was indeed skateboarding. After he grabbed ahold of the pick up he was “towed,” which resulted in injuries.

How stupid can you be is what I want to know? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen kids skateboarding in places they shouldn’t be like down a major street, outside restaurants, in parking lots, and the list goes on and on ….

Did you know that there are quite a few interesting skateboarding stats in terms of injuries according to the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons?

For example, the Web site states: “Each year in the United States, skateboarding injuries cause about 50,000 visits to emergency departments and 1500 children and adolescents to be hospitalized. (Source: AAP, March 2002. )

I say let’s ban skateboarding in ALL public places and if kids want to skate, let them do it at their own home ….Â

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

47 Responses to “San Diego: Let’s Ban Skateboarding”

1. M said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:24

What are you like 60?

How about you check your own source you senile melon head: “Bicycle Riding
    The greatest number of recreational injuries to children occur while the child is riding a bicycle. Most of these 415,000 injures are bruises (contusions). ” http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00042

3 million people are injured in car accidents let’s ban people from doing that too!

Or maybe just ban anyone under 30 from going outdoors, period? Then the roads will be safe for you to drive to your early bird dinners and what not.

2. garth said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:26

I won’t call you square, but I will call you uninformed. What else should you ban? Football? care to look up the injury statistics on that? what about ALL youth sports? what about walking? have you checked injury stats on that revolutionary activity? I’m willing to bet there’s more injuries across the board to people walking then their are to people skateboarding. This article is a dumb kneejerk reaction. There’s about a million more dangerous things people do with their time (including DRIVING, which causes upwards of 40000 DEATHS a year, and I don’t hear you calling for a ban on that).
    I mean, do you sit outside hoping that some kids will come along so you can wave your cane at them or what? this whole piece comes off as pure, old-fashioned fogeyism. why don’t you tell about how young people curse these days and just don’t know how good they got it, by plum! that’ll teach the whippersnappers while they buy their hulahoops and go to their box socials.

3. Charles said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:30

Get off my lawn.

4. Bill said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:41

You are a fascist tool.

5. gob bluth said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:55

why is this blog still on my bloglines? half of the entries cover the same stories i can read about on better written and more insightful sites, and then the other half feature crap like this. if you can’t assemble a coherent argument, maybe you should think twice about posting. “a kid got hurt skateboarding. DERRRRRRP. i never skateboarded! let’s ban it!”

i’m off to remove the rss feed from my aggregator. good riddence.

6. Michael Scott said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 16:02

Why are you the way that you are?

7. Adam Park said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 20:35

Hmmmm, so I’m guessing that theres no accidents on bikes, right? I mean, it’s not like people ride bikes “in places they shouldn’t be like down a major street, outside restaurants, in parking lots, and the list goes on and on ….”

“Each year, more than 500,000 people in the US are treated in emergency departments, and more than 700 people die as a result of bicycle-related injuries.”
    And I get this information from http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/bike/

I mean honestly, wake up. Do you think the people weren’t saying the same thing about bicycling when you were growing up?

8. Saturday Skate Camp said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 21:14

Ohhhh, I so had to post a comment due in part that my neighbor recently blasted me with “you know everyone is annoyed” by the fact that me and my two boys skate up and down the street every frick’n day. I’m of the mind set that this is California and skat’n is a California born sport, which by the way is in the X games, which by the way is very American. So I believe that it is un-American to even request that there be a ban on Skate’n. Let alone a ban in the very State that made Skate’n what it is. By the way there are Americans skate’n in the Middle East side by side with Middle Easterners so…in essance it is a contributer to the peace movement and an aid in good realations between the Middle East and the USA. I say in response to my freaked out neighbor and to the writer of the Ban on Skate’n you are by the very nature of your frustration un-American and impead’n our efforts to make the world a better place. Skaters for Soldiers is working to support the men and women who risk there lives for our safety every second of every day in Iraq, in the USA and all over the world. I believe you need to get to a skate shop and buy a board and practice in a parking lot…with a helmet…and get with the program, or at the very least buy one for a soldier. Ask yourself “what have I done today to make this a truely better world?” And as a final word Dude this is California!

9. Chase said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 21:38

Did you know that more people are skateboarding than playing baseball in USA? Does that mean thats your new national sport? I live in Canada and find many people way more tolerant than in the states. As people have said you are completely uninformed. Unless you skate, you cant relate.

10. Carrie Lopez said on Monday, October 13, 2008, 22:54

I assume the responses here are from kids. Am I correct.? I am a 59 year old grandmother, and I totally agree with the skateboarders who feel discriminated against. When I was a kid, my father built my first skateboard. He took the wheels off a pair of old skates and attached them to a piece of board. My friends dad’s were doing the same for them. We had a blast skating through the shopping malls, parks, school yards; anywhere there was concrete. My friends and I would ride every opportunity we had. Skateboards weren’t being made commercially yet, but it wouldn’t be long. Of course, it wasn’t too long after that that the malls, parks, school yards etc. started banning skateboarding. We were kids; we’d push to envelope and ride to our hearts content until we were chased away, but we always came back. I know that some kids will foolishly risk life and limb; we did it too and helmets weren’t required back then, and nobody wore knee and elbow pads, So you see, things weren’t so different then from now. I’m thrilled to see that Park and Recreation Departments and some private organizations are finally seeing that this sport is not going anywhere soon so they’re building skate parks. It’s been a long time coming; better late than never. Hey, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. I enjoy nothing more than taking my grandchildren to our local skatepark . I bring a lawn chair, an ice chest, a picnic and just hang out for the whole afternoon enthralled watching the kids strut their stuff. The kids are so talented and they’re spending their time in a positive way. They’re not hanging out on street corners, loitering in malls and wreaking havoc wherever they go out of boredom. My 5-year old granddaughter can’t wait until she’s old enough (6 years old) to join them. While I kick back reading a magazine, watching the skateboarders, my granddaughter is flying through the park on her Razor scooter. Yep, next year she’ll be ready to join in with the older boys and girls. You know something else that’s a breath of fresh air, these kids watch out for each other; the bigger kids watch out for the littler ones; they help teach them; give them pointers. Love it! I would ask all of the older adults out there to reflect back on your childhoods; as I said, we weren’t so different, we had our bikes, surfboards and homemade skateboards that we cherished. Reflect back when you were kids; the great times we had. Think about those times and smile. We only live once, don’t go down being know as the crotchety old lady or man down the street. At least these kids aren’t sitting in their houses spending hours upon hours watching television, playing video games, eating everything they can get their hands on and getting fat. Hmmm, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an overweight skateboarder, have you? Let’s get with it folks and be more tolerant of our kids for they are our future. God love ‘em all!

11. Matt said on Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 9:42

Kids get hurt, Adults blame others. Thats just the way it is. I think we should just ban all sports and that way kids have nothing better to do than drugs and commit robbery. I have been listening to idiots like you my whole life. “those young whippersnappers, who do they think they are?” Get over yourself. If you don’t want your kids to skate than tuff for them but who are you to tell others how they should act? Skating and bike riding are only 2 ways to give kids a sense of worth without turning to the normal pitfalls. If their not skating they will be doing something else to use their time. What do you think that will be? Math? Science? Wake up, If anything we need clubs like football or baseball to help them achieve their goals, not hinder them. A top professional skater makes a real good living these days, and most kid aspire to the X games like you probabily looked at baseball or some other has been sport in your day. Once again, get over yourself!

12. Zfun said on Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 10:50

I am 46 years old and still skateboard and I’m gonna keep skating until I physically can’t do it any more, I enjoy cruising the board walk with my Ipod on, flying around La Jolla shores, looking for any bank, pool, ramp like structure I can skate, What they should ban is bitter old people who are either too fat, lazy or watch way too much T.V. please go back to your boob tube and cheer on your tired old candidate to the bitter end, and keep yelling at Those punk kids to get off your lawn, as the rest of are going out to live life…..

13. sdguy said on Thursday, October 16, 2008, 15:33

Square.

14. yougayniggah said on Friday, October 17, 2008, 6:56

you are such a prick you think that just because we get hurt we have to ban it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyday hear wee have to learn from our mstakes so if we f*** up on a trick and break a bone i know what i did wrong!!!!!!! it also help with our coordination skills..it tests your reaction time and you feet movement determine whether you land it or not

15. oldpplsuckexceptthatoldladywhoagreedwithskateboarding!! said on Friday, October 17, 2008, 7:03

i hate when ppl complain about skating!!!! ?I love ashley?

16. tiger!! said on Friday, October 17, 2008, 7:06

i love ashley!!!!!!!!!

17. stoney said on Saturday, October 18, 2008, 9:02

you are an idiot!

18. william said on Thursday, November 13, 2008, 7:57

Dude, your not kool. i hope somone bans your hobbie. then we will see how you feel. oh, and another thing? skateboarding is not getting banned, so keep dreaming.

19. holli said on Sunday, November 23, 2008, 20:51

I can see where you get your outrage and fury in banning skateboarding, by acquiring the fear in trying something new. Many people hurt themselves every day by trying sometime new. Even if it is something so dramatical as walking up a hill. I think you have created a fear in skateboarding because you either have a child who picked up skateboarding and got severly hurt, you are a doctor who is tired of seeing skateboarders hurt themselves due to lack of “carelessness”(but why should you care because their insurance pays you) or you are just some one who has grown up in the uniformed, conservative, stuck up lifestyle where you only care about the nature of making your self better than every one.

Or even in outrage, in highschool you were picked on the local skateboarders at your school and the only way to get them back is to take away something they love.
    Isn’t that associated with the techincal view of robbing?
    I do have a suggestion for you though. Why don’t you leave your ego at the door, start caring about what other people think, and learn to accomidate with the skateboarding society.
    Because if you do succeed if “banning” skateboarding, think of how many peoples dreams you will crush, how many careers you will have ruined, and how many peoples lives you have destroyed.
    People make a living of the art of skateboarding.
    Unlike you. in which you probably make a career out of selling stocks to poor bastards who don’t know which stock is better than the other.

20. code name v said on Monday, November 24, 2008, 23:08

skateboarding is an extreme sports all who take part in it know the dangers of it. as for this add.. skate parks are made for skaters and yet can’t skate it for not wearing, “proper equipment” a.k.a. helmet so they go looking the streets for places to skate. yeah we do get hurt skating but it’s months and months of practice that we put our sweat and energy into and we cant use a skate park that posts. “skate at own risk” what do you really think your going to get sewed for posting up that sign?! old fart knock off all sports have dangers as well as all physical activity.

21. ahmed raza said on Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 17:13

fool shut the hell up… i’ve had people skateboarding in my community for years and the most thats happened is an ankle sprain or something. You say about biking? Well its much worse cuz bike injuries are really bad like breaking a bone even… i mean even with equipment the bike cud just fall on u and hurt u when u fall.. SO SHUT THE HELL UP YOU FAG AND LET PEOPLE SKATEBOARD JUST CUZ U DONT KNOW HOW!

22. Tanner said on Thursday, December 4, 2008, 19:15

Like you cant break a bone in any other sport you old hag

23. Carrie Lopez said on Thursday, December 4, 2008, 19:37

I’ve already entered an editorial of my support of skateboarding, but I must say, Code Name V, I hope you put as much effort into your education as you do your skateboarding. I’m pretty sure you meant to say sued and not sewed, unless you’re going to sew up your own injuries. My grandson is a big fan of skateboarding, as are a lot of kids. He recently went skateboarding in a library parking lot and had to call me on his cell phone to come and get him. He did not wear his gear, dumb move, and we spent several hours in the emergency room so that the doctors, a few of them, attempted to pack the “meat” ripped from his knee back in place. Many stitches later, he’ll be o.k., but his scar will be far from pretty. Go for it girls, rip your bodies up. Boys tend to not mind scars; girls do, especially as they grow older. Those of you who can’t write a sentence without profanity. Give it a rest, you shock nobody, you only show your inability to write legibly — know what that means?

24. Aaron bledsoe said on Monday, December 8, 2008, 13:43

fuck you

25. Kris Combs said on Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 20:13

Fuck you you probably an old dirty bastard with nothing better to do than discriminate against a certain group, oh and by the way that’s called racism YOU PIECE OF SHIT, that society has already cast aside and labeled a nuisance. so after you get done drinking your prune juice i wasnt you to go fuck yourself!

26. Carrie Lopez said on Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 20:28

It seems obvious to me that we have a lot of children posting here. I too, am a huge fan of skateboarding and other extreme sports — and I’m no kid, I’m 59 years old and when I was a kid, we had our own versions of extreme sports and skateboarding. The part that make me sad here is that many of you seem to be uneducated and wthout morals when it comes to the language use use. What is the purpose of that? Can you truley not formulate a complete sentence without the use of profanity. It really makes me sad for all of you who will be working menial jobs for the rest of your lives. Loving your sport is one thing; becoming losers for life is quite another. Let’s see our kids do better, that’s a challenge!

27. Mark said on Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 7:59

Anyone over the age of 16 who still rides a skateboard is a moron. I am fed up of nearly being knocked over by stupid skateboarders in San Diego downtown. They destroy property trying to do their idiotic tricks. The other week I had to do an emergency stop on 4th Ave when one flew off the sidewalk in front of my car.

28. brandon debuono said on Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 13:33

skateboarding is not a crime, why should it be banned couse one person thinks it causes more injeries then bikeing or what ever well i think what ever you are doing you can get hurt so just shut up. and you said that you dont get what the fascination of skateboarding is well thats fine you dont have to understand but the fascination for me is just being with all of your friends just skateing makeing videos and just haveing a good time so i think it is wrong of you to say that skateboarding is bad when im sure you have never tried it

29. Joe said on Friday, March 20, 2009, 13:21

And they should ban it, not just because kids get hurt, they ride in the middle of the street. I mean seriously find a skatepark, that is what there for. And alot of skaters are punks(just saying round where I live.) they vandalize and do stupid stuff, like they have no brains.

30. Jose said on Saturday, March 21, 2009, 18:20

Mark, answer a question for me, where exactly does is state an official age limit for skateboarding? Do you know how much science and math is involve with skateboarding? To be honest, I’m sick and tired of people who just stereotype skater just because they either xenophobic towards the rapid growth of a new sport or are just pissed off at all “those wipper -snapper, ridin’ those skate-bowards and listening to their hippity -hoppity” in general and you Mark seem like a little of both.

31. I HATE @$$ HOLES said on Friday, April 17, 2009, 11:46

WTF? BAN SKATEBOARDING. you sound like a grumpy old man that doesnt have anything to do but ruin things for other people. sure there are stupid people out there like u but that doesnt mean the sport is bad. this is the united states of AMERICA not nazi germany, are you related to hitler? I hope they ban bingo. your being a racist. how many of u think hes just jealous because hes a loser. I think that all you skater haters should just shut up. now u know why skaters have no respect for u, cause u have no respect for us.

32. Peter Madsen said on Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 20:43

HA!. Good luck banning skateboarding. It was banned in the 90s now look at it. skateboarding is a cockroach–it’ll live on long after you and I have died.

33. Josh J said on Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 17:19

Mark, so you are advocating riding around in a car which gives you no exercise, pollutes the environment, costs money constantly and takes forever to park? Yeah, I’ll stick to skating around. What tricks are you thinking destroy property, now? The double sidewalk smasher or the window breaker? C’mon man, get realistic. Maybe if you had been driving a little more slowly and careful you wouldn’t have had to do an “emergency stop”. Sidewalks are built for pedestrians, okay? Downtown is full of them, okay? So, get used to people traveling as pedestrians. Not everyone wants to drag their fat ass around in a car for the many aforementioned reasons.

As for the author of this article, they are quite apparently bitter about something, or need to be. I’m not going to waste time responding, because judging from their attitude and terminology (“Call me square, but I’ve never understood the fascination with kids and” etc. etc. they are too old too ever take up skateboarding and there will never be a ban on the sport. To answer your first question though, the fascination is most likely the ability to get around efficiently, learn new tricks, stay in shape AND have fun. Sounds just like that bicycling you were rabblin’ on about.

34. Anthony said on Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 23:16

Ridiculous!

35. Chuffson said on Tuesday, July 21, 2009, 5:29

Okay, I gotta make my comment. Skateboarding is a sport unlike any other. Skateboarding is more than skateboards, it’s the people who ride them. It takes a different kind of person to risk a broken bone for the satisfaction of landing a huge gap or difficult trick. You can’t take that away. I know that skateboarders have gotten a bad reputation (such as some of the ones commenting on here, who’s useless profanity seems kind of counter-productive) but banning skateboarding is excessive, ridiculous, and impossible. How do you think it’d go over with the millions of “stupid skateboarders” if you took away their boards and told them to find some other way of exercising, expressing themselves, making friends. You’d have a riot, and it would get pretty nasty, I can guarantee it. By no means am I threatening you, I’m just warning you that as a skateboarder, I know how I’d feel, and there are plenty less mild skate punks out there who would give you a piece of their mind. You can either try to stop the “problem” through futile and just a little ridiculous means, or you can buy your kid pads and try to make sure what he’s doing. Skateboarding is THE most important thing in so many people’s lives, and trying to take it away wouldn’t be looked kindly upon by most of the world. And Mark, for an adult, you sure are throwing around insults. Doing something you don’t approve of doesn’t make us stupid or idiotic, it makes us different (which frankly, I’m pretty glad of.) Carrie Lopez, you sound like a caring, awesome individual… but you spelled “truly” wrong.

36. shane said on Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 15:15

ok first off Mark is an idiot. i am a 17 year old skateboarder who has been doing it for 6 and a half years and i love it. any skateboarder will tell you that the reason they are still doing it 5 years down the road will tell it is because they love it. It is a great hobbie thats keeps you out of trouble and keeps you active. F**k all of this crap about banning, its not going anywhere so just give up!!! i dont care if they do ban it i will still keep skating untill the day i cant even stand up. and if they even do ban it, i promise you there will be alot of pissed off teens running around the streets doing alot worse crap than you think skateboarding is.

37. apollo said on Sunday, September 27, 2009, 15:03

i hate you soooooo much i dont even know you and i hate you…its people like you that skaters…and every teenager despises…open your eyes retard…sketeboarding is the fucking future…maybe u liked to ride a bike…cool…well we like to skate, what if i tried to bann biking…its just as dangerous biking on highways and near fast mooving trafffick…your just an old douche that has no life but to ake the fun away from teenagers hobbies and things that they LOVE to do.

38. cas said on Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 13:44

over the age of 16!!! hello your a dush, is that how you want kids to think of you??? would you rather have a bunch of fatass kids living in america??? and by the way thats what were becoming because of your stupid need to get mad at something you dont understand. Obvousily you have never sk8ted, its life changing. And you know if you wanna be an ass that is fine be an ass hole that and yell at us call the cops on us- im sure youll feel proud of yourself when you come home to your family and they are like hey what did u do today at work bill, and u sy i called the police on a 9 year old sk8ter and got him taken in to the jailhouse because he was doing something he loved. you know what haters get a life, and do your job instead of complaining about a sport that has mor ethical kids and people that youll ever meet!!! And im sure you all know that there are less injuries in skating than football,soccer,baseball,lacross,ect.

im only 13 and you guys show so much ignorance it makes me sick.

39. Veronica Pollard said on Saturday, November 14, 2009, 12:25

If I had a home haha.

40. Veronica Pollard said on Saturday, November 14, 2009, 12:29

Skateboarders are pedestrians too! and who you calling moron, when were actually helping the world, your polluting it w/ your gasoline…causing global warming you F****in bastard, I hope you rot in hell!

41. Veronica Pollard said on Saturday, November 14, 2009, 12:37

I dont understand how some people can be so aroogant!!! If you respect human life so much you would most likely carpool, um you would respect pedestrian’s crossing the street ( jogger’s, skateboarders, people on rollerblades),…and not complain…I don’t understanf how you got a license you dumb bitch, that’s most likely why you almost ran over a pedestrian, cuz your dumb and werent really looking to care enough if someone was crossing the street, we as extreme sport activist know the consequences, but sometimes we do risk our own lives to put people like you away!!!! you dumb ass fogy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Jeremy said on Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 16:58

Right so you’re saying we should ban skateboarding? Well the way I see it. by ollieing down a stair set we’re eliminating the risk of falling down the stairs. but that’s just my opinion and it doesn’t count because I’m a skater so I don’t know what’s good for me.

43. Joseph said on Saturday, May 1, 2010, 17:04

I’m sorry but where else SHOULD we go (besides the obvious skate parks). Skate parks are for people who skate transitional, bowls, vertical or anything else you can imagine or come up with. In fact most people don’t care about other people skateboarding around their neighborhoods unless it causes direct vandilism to their property. Another thing you may think is that we (we being skateboarders) are nothing but a lot of drug dealers and gang members who go around vandilizing and destroying property. This is not true for most skaters in fact most of us just want to have fun. It’s like surfing or snowboarding but for some reason people tend to look down on us. While I do respect your opinions on skateboarders because you are entitled to one I do not think that it is true.

44. Joseph said on Saturday, May 1, 2010, 17:33

The point I was trying to make with the whole skate park thing is that not everyone can skate transitional, bowls or vertical, some of use are talented STREET skating and if you haven’t the ability to recongnize the the similarity in STREET skating and kids (or adults) who are skating down the STREET then I am sorry to have posted meaningless comments to someone as illiterate as yourself.

45. tyler cosby said on Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 20:51

by stepping on stairs you are abusing them and if enough people step on those stairs you could ruin them but if you ollie over them then you dont touch them so think about that you 69 year old frog humper, i dont even know were i got frog humper!!

46. nick said on Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 11:52

il skate board til i die and if they ban it cause of you all of us we be after you and you wont see tomorow

47. rae said on Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 21:00

they do the some thing with bike roller skates .etc
    skateboard in the best thing you can do you will get injure on a bike too.
    and do you know how skateboarders will feel about this,skateboarding is about no rules no teams it just you and i am a skateboarder too.