Best Summer Concert Venue in San Diego- Del Mar Fairground Rocks all Summer

Monday, April 23, 2007, 13:11 —by News Gal
This item was posted in San Diego Concerts and Music, San Diego Entertainment category and has 15 Comments so far.

I can’t wait for the summer concert series to start up at the Del Mar Fairground. I’m not a huge fan of broken-down rides, smelly animal shows, or losing all my money betting on horses that never win during the Fair and Racetracks— but the Del Mar Fairground does rock awesome concerts. I think the fairground is the best venue for summer concerts in San Diego and the best overall outdoor venue for entertainment in San Diego. It’s cheap, it never sells out, and somehow it still has a great sound system.

When you buy an admission ticket to the San Diego Fair or Del Mar Racetracks, you get free entrance to the concert for that day. Although the track only features concerts on Fridays, the fair hosts different shows and festivals all throughout the week. My favorite summer time event is the Reggae Festival with Steel Pulse during the fair. I’m pretty sure other local reggae fans feel the same—it’s always packed, and it keeps coming back. Any more Steep Pulse lovers out there?

I think the Del Mar Fairground is the best summer venue and best outdoor entertainment venue by far—but there are so many other great venues for concerts in San Diego. My other favorites are: the House of Blues downtown and the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach.

The Casbah does support some awesome bands, but the venue itself is a little too seedy for my taste. I’ve never seen live music in Pacific Beach—but word is the 710 Beach Club puts on a good show. Anyone know the scoop on 710?

15 Responses to “Best Summer Concert Venue in San Diego- Del Mar Fairground Rocks all Summer”

1. chickrawker said on Monday, April 23, 2007, 15:23

you’re kidding, right? and how is the casbah seedy? sigh.

2. News Gal said on Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 8:25

Have you been to a concert at the Fair chickrawker?

3. chickrawker said on Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 8:34

i have been to numerous shows there – during the fair and during the racetrack season. what’s your point? i think you would have a lot of people who go to shows regularly (like myself, where i average three shows a week) that would beg to differ.

4. News Gal said on Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 10:58

Just wondering. The Fairground is my favorite place to see summer-shows, all in good fun. What is your fav summer spot?

5. Mattster said on Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 11:52

Wow, I mean if you like the fairgrounds for your reggae fest, then fine, but I would put it farther down the list for best summer venues. Did Radiohead play at the Fairgrounds last summer? And what’s up with the Casbah? That is one of the best spots in town to see a show period. Small, intimate and has the best indie artists around play there. How can you call it seedy? The people are always nice there.

6. MAS said on Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 13:05

I learned years ago that it’s blasphemy to say you don’t like the Casbah is this town. What you call small and intimate, some call claustrophobic and uncomfortable. Give me the Belly Up any day.

7. News Gal said on Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 14:37

A bit of clarification for Casbah lovers-

Seedy: as in, the physical building is a bit rundown … no more, no less. gzzzz.

8. Joey Turkindale said on Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 15:33

When the 710 used to be blind melons is was a real shithole. The Belly Up is obviously nice. The Fairgrounds is worth going to because it’s free (you don’t have to pay track admission, just come afterwards), the sound is usually not good for the 8 rock bands I’ve seen, but I’m not into raigay stuff so I don’t know about that. The other crappy thing is the commute and the crowd; usually overcrowded to the point where you can’t see shit. The Casbah is a great place, because it’s small, has great sound, and you can usually meet people in the band you came to see. House of Blues is my least favorite venue; the staff are dicks and the drink and ticket prices are outrageous. You definately have to make a list of some other venues and make an effort to scope them out. I’m sure if you like Steel Pulse, you would dig Winston’s in Ocean Beach.

9. Joe Crawford said on Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 8:56

A concert at the Del Mar, er, sorry, San Diego Fair is typically underwhelming.

As for the Casbah: I like the Casbah, it has character, but it’s a place for small rock shows, and not for everyone. It’s not the best, but the Fairgrounds sure as HELL is not the best.

10. JeSais said on Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 14:28

I gotta say I’m a big fan of the Belly Up Tavern (the BUT as we north county folks affectionately call it) Also there’s some fun beach bar hang outs up north like the Surf and Saddle and the Kraken (shakin’ it at the Kraken) Also, suprising no one has mentioned 4th and B… or the Embarcadero (did I read there is no more concerts there due to noise complaints from Coronado residents??)

and speaking of which, if I want to hear a concert at the Del Mar Far, I can open a window. Not that I’m complaining… just part of living in city….

11. sdguy said on Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 15:16

There are definitely still concerts at the embarcadero as I’m looking forward to seeing Morrissey there in June!

12. News Gal said on Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 15:18

Hey JeSais- I love your Kraken comment. ha. I’m a North County res. too, so I’ve def. spent many a nights “shakin’ it” at the Kraken. summertime. And thanks for the BellyUp shoutout- much love for B.U.T!

13. JeSais said on Friday, April 27, 2007, 8:25

Glad to hear concerts at the embarcadero are still an ongoing concern… would be a shame to lose such a great venue because of a few people. Was there another bayfront venue that was closing down due to noise complaints?? or am I getting “fuzzy” in my old age?

OH, did anyone mention Humphreys? great place for a summer concert.

14. Declan said on Monday, April 30, 2007, 9:41

Last year I saw the Flaming Lips, and the Violent Femmes, each for $6 on one of the Del Mar Racetrack Friday Concert deals. These were great shows! The stage and sound are not the same as the Fair. I don’t know the layout that well, but we were outside the main race stands. While it does get crowded, if you get there early enough you can stand pretty much in front of the stage.

D

15. Andy G said on Thursday, May 17, 2007, 19:22

For sure… Steel Pulse was so good last year I couldn’t remember walking to the car or being driven home… oh yeah, that’s cause the Craft Brewing Festival is always on the same day… Beer, Tequila and Live Reggae… nothing better!!!
    I love it!