San Diego Comic Con is kewl. Leave it.

Monday, March 12, 2007, 23:32 —by Joe Crawford
This item was posted in Nerdy category and has 10 Comments so far.

I found Mark Evanier’s post “What Happens in San Diego Stays in San Diego” quite informative and entertaining. It basically decimates the idea that Comic-Con International would be better off in Las Vegas as suggested by Katherine Keller in her opinion piece in Sequential Tart that “What Happens in San Diego… Should Happen in Las Vegas.”

What kind of crack do you need to smoke to want to go to Las Vegas in July?

That said, Vegas might be a great place for the same sort of convention, but moving the whole works there is a terrible suggestion. It’s possible to do Con very cheaply – a train trip, I can’t see the same mix of hard core comics pros and fans and “just browsers” if you force it to be an event that’s so much harder to get to.

10 Responses to “San Diego Comic Con is kewl. Leave it.”

1. kokorozashi said on Monday, March 12, 2007, 23:50

What kind of crack do you need to smoke to want to go to Las Vegas … EVER? It’s a horrible desolate soul-killing place obviously run by vampires.

2. lyn said on Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 6:34

i have a moratorium on vegas from june – sept. you are crazy if you go in the summer. seriously.

but yeah, everyone who goes to comic con loves it here, who the hell is this guy anyways?

3. MAS said on Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 7:40

What are the summer temperatures on Mos Eisley?

4. route66 said on Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 7:48

Bring on the SD vs LV deathmatch!

5. Joe said on Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 8:24

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum, and villany. We must be cautious.”

6. MAS said on Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 13:35

If the problem is we here in San Diego are lacking hotel rooms, then maybe I can help. I live 2 streets away from the convention center. If you’re a young lady that resembles Wonder Woman, Laura Croft or Cat Woman, maybe I have an extra room for you. :)

7. JeSais said on Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 11:57

One of her big beefs is the number of hotel rooms within a mile of the convention center.. . what about Mission Valley. There is a trolley. And points north, like, say, my lovely home town of Solana Beach, are served by Amtrak and/or the Coaster if for some reason you can’t rent a car.

And let me just say.. 106+ degrees in Vegas in July! that’s worth repeating.

How ’bout Katherine Keller goes to Las Vegas in July and the rest of us stay here.

8. Christine said on Thursday, March 15, 2007, 12:54

The stats behind the argument are flawed. As Joe said, the proximity is what draws me. If I had to pay for hotel rooms, etc. in addition to tickets, 3-4 less people a year would attend. I know other people who put up droves of friends during that week. (Geeks are not above crashing on friends’ couches). I wonder how many of the total attendees need rooms?

9. Stack said on Thursday, March 15, 2007, 22:13

Hmm…I live 6 blocks from the convention center and I didn’t see teeming masses of comic book fans sleeping on the streets. Wonder where everyone went, given that horrible shortage of hotel rooms. Last I checked, it was the comic book heroes, not the fans, who could disappear and reappear at will.

10. Ryan said on Thursday, April 19, 2007, 13:56

Take in mind San Diego Comic-Con is NOT the largest con in the world. There is one somewhere in France and the big ones in Tokyo, ComiKet (Comic Market, which happens twice a year, Summer and Winter). These are over 5 times heavier that Comic Con with attendances upwards of 500,000! San Diego is fine… no… perfect for Comic-Con! By the way, the kids in ComiKet take the train to the convention. Learn from them.