Moving to San Diego, or Moving Out of San Diego?

Saturday, January 27, 2007, 21:18 —by sdguy
This item was posted in General category and has 8 Comments so far.

I read a surprising article in the UT today (online) about the rate at which people are moving out vs moving in to San Diego.

Citing data from the California Department of Finance, Schuerman said only 900 people moved to San Diego County over the past two years, while more than 28,500 residents moved out.

It would seem that the number one business difficulty for 90% of businesses and 100% of employees is the cost of housing in San Diego.

So, has the loss of roughly 2.3% of San Diego’s population had any noticeable impacts for any of you?

8 Responses to “Moving to San Diego, or Moving Out of San Diego?”

1. Michael Allen Smith said on Sunday, January 28, 2007, 6:01

I don’t doubt there is a greater number of people leaving San Diego than arriving, however those numbers seem off.

“…13,000, or roughly 1 percent of the regional work force”

Using the article number, the exodus would be 2% of the workforce, not the population. Once you strip out kids, the retired, the disabled and similar, maybe only 65% of the residents of the county actually work. Illegals and some eBay sellers aren’t being counted as well.

To answer your question, San Diego feels about the same as it did 6 years ago with maybe the exception of Mission Valley on the weekend, which is a zoo.

2. maxine said on Sunday, January 28, 2007, 8:41

I am leaving the San Diego area, next spring.. my children are getting short shafted in schools, lessons are presented in a foreign language.. local businesses conduct a lot of business in a foreign language.. and I for one am tired of pressing 1 for English…good luck San Diego..

3. Michael Allen Smith said on Sunday, January 28, 2007, 11:32

Where are you going Maxine?

4. San Diego Restaurant Reviews said on Sunday, January 28, 2007, 14:53

Actually, I was using the number “28,500″ which they said was the number who left over the last two years. And a search for “San Diego Population” on google said the population is 1.2million (perhaps that’s off).

5. sdguy said on Sunday, January 28, 2007, 16:49

For some reason i got your comment by email, but am unable to find it on this page, or in moderation, or in spam karma. Very weird.

MAS Said: “The article is using County numbers not city incorporated. SD County is 2.5+ million. A 2.3% population loss is huge. Did 2% less workers file taxes in the county? Although still tough to believe, that’s more likely.”

I agree with you, I was mostly motivated to post this due to my difficulty believing that that high of a percentage of people are seriously leaving.

I’ll dig around and see what I can find… I’m thinking that whatever documentation they’re basing this one has some signficant bias.

6. Michael Allen Smith said on Sunday, January 28, 2007, 18:21

I messed up a Href link which screwed up the page, so I went to the ADMIN and deleted the comment. Then I got distracted and didn’t repost.

7. James said on Saturday, March 10, 2007, 9:55

Of course people left San Diego! I can speculate that a majority of the people leaving were the 65+ crowd that made a killing selling their houses and moved to Arizona or Nevada…just prior to the market softening.

I do believe however that many younger are making attempts to “try out” San Diego and then only wind up leaving because they are either done with partying in PB or are young professionals that are having a diffcult time paying for rent with a modest median payscale out here.

The economics don’t make sense for a town that STILL relies on the military, tourism, construction and Qualcomm to pay the bills. That’s a pretty weak list to pull from to justify a balanced economy.

8. B said on Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 12:11

Hi Maxine,

Sometimes I think about leaving San Diego so I can buy a HOUSE. So, I can understand the exodus.

However, your kids having the rare chance to grow up next to another country and get a bilingual education in America is a good thing for their education.