San Diego Photography – Best Backdrops?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007, 14:29 —by George Lindemann Jr
This item was posted in San Diego Photos category and has 15 Comments so far.

So, I’m getting ready to take my new Canon EOS 400D out for a spin this weekend and I’m trying to find some new places to shoot at. I rummaged through the San Diego photos archive here, and did a couple searches, looking at local attractions and tourist spots.

I’ve done the Cove in La Jolla, tons of places in Coronado, atop some hotels and buildings in Downtown San Diego, Mt. Soledad, most of the piers, Torrey Pines state beach, and a few places in Del Mar and RSF.

Anyone got any favorites? I like to photograph nature, landscape, people… I guess I’m pretty much down with photographing anything outdoors.

BTW, would other photographers think it would be cool to have a gallery of San Diego pictures on the SanDiegoBlog? I’m a programmer and could set something like that up if there was interest. Maybe some sort of profiles for photographers too so that they could get a little exposure as well.

Thanks – George Lindemann Jr.

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

15 Responses to “San Diego Photography – Best Backdrops?”

1. MAS said on Wednesday, January 24, 2007, 14:57

Head East.

Anza-Borrego is great this time of the year.

2. ChrisN said on Wednesday, January 24, 2007, 16:59

The desert wildflowers can be great, or no so great depending on conditions. These guys seem to keep conditions updated every week or two once the season starts: http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html

Other favs:
    - Iron Mountain on the east edge of Poway can be amazing on a clear day.
    - Mission Trails Regional Park
    - Chicano Park

3. JeSais said on Thursday, January 25, 2007, 11:00

I was out at Cabrillo monument last weekend with my Uncle Johnny… hadn’t been there in years, forgot how beautiful it is, and if you’re lucky you’ll see some whales off the coast! not to mention a fantastic view of the city with the mountains in the background.

4. rowell said on Friday, January 26, 2007, 15:16

Head to Coronado and take a Downtown San Diego skyscape shot during dusk. Wonderful results.

5. Chris Neal said on Saturday, January 27, 2007, 12:56

The places mentioned are all good locations. I haven’t lived in the San Diego area for very long, but I know there are tons of places to take great photos. I, for one, would be interested in seeing a San Diego picture gallery. I think you could definitely find interest among other photographers, as well.

6. Point Loma said on Monday, January 29, 2007, 12:49

You should come down to Point Loma and check out Liberty Station. Lot’s of great open spaces, with fountains and trees, etc. surrounded by historic buildings. Some incredible views of the downtown skyline from the golf course (Hole #5 is the “signature” shot).

7. MarkDM said on Monday, January 29, 2007, 19:33

The weekend’s over, obviously, but I just saw this post, so I thought I’d throw my support behind the idea of a San Diego picture gallery. Sounds like fun.

8. Kevin said on Monday, February 5, 2007, 19:32

Tide pools at point loma.

Hotel Del when it’s lit up for christmas. If you get a sunny day you can get some gorgeous photos just before sunset

The cliffs at black’s beach. If the gliders are out you can stay up top, or shoot them from below. The cliffs light up nicely at sunset too. If you have a long lens you can get good shots of La Jolla.

Any of the piers.

Mt Soledad – best on a sunny day after it’s rained – few and far between.

Don’t forget you can search flickr for anything with ‘san diego’ to find what other people are shooting

9. cin said on Friday, February 9, 2007, 10:02

Have you looked at this book?

PhotoSecrets San Diego
    Sample page — http://www.photosecrets.com/sd.p144.600.jpg

There used to be a Flicker link to the San Diego Pool on the SanDiegoBlog side bar.

10. George Lindemann Jr said on Friday, February 9, 2007, 17:42

Great Suggestions, thanks everyone. I’m ordering the photo secrets book.

Thanks

- George

11. Nick said on Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 3:19

What are you looking to shoot? Any specifics?

12. San Diego Photo Forum said on Wednesday, May 9, 2007, 14:40

George, I know you said youve done the caves @ La Jolla but have you been to Wind N Sea yet?

Its a good plase to do some long exposures also.

13. Randy said on Saturday, September 15, 2007, 21:48

I love to take pictures and I’m tslking a photogarphy class any where new to go ive been to most around San Diego

14. Jsteele_5 said on Friday, July 18, 2008, 20:42

Hi George,
    I have also been shooting allot around the area (with my 5D). Always interested in answers to the same question. My favorite shots include the top of Lucinda Street, Pt. Loma, Coronado Ferry pier, golf course in coronado for great brtidge shots, and attractions such as the mission near the 8 & 15. Taking an old tip I picked up in Scott Kelby’s “Digital Photography” (the bible in my opinion), I primarily find the best shoorting to be from sunset to 45 minutes after sunset. Some great sunrise stuff to with marine layers over the ocean and bay. Next up, I want to get some great aircraft approach shots, and find a spot for sunride shots (likely difficult as we see it set moreso than rise on the left coast).
    –Jimmy Steele

15. e dorado said on Wednesday, May 20, 2009, 8:50

I would like to shoot pix of my son in his laCrosse gear where would you recommend? Im shooting in Imperial Beach to start since its my hometown, any suggestions on good spots for LaCrosse pixs??