Street Scene? Parking Lot Scene? or Park Scene?

Friday, December 8, 2006, 12:32 —by JeSais
This item was posted in Ask San Diego Blog, General, San Diego Events category and has 11 Comments so far.

11 Responses to “Street Scene? Parking Lot Scene? or Park Scene?”

1. lyn said on Friday, December 8, 2006, 13:09

if they can pull it off, it would be cool. but there is a real lack of places to hold events like this that would not cause traffic issues from here to eternity. very interesting to see how this shakes out.

2. Brent said on Friday, December 8, 2006, 13:56

I think having it in Balboa Park would be a disaster. I like the park and I would hate to see it overrun and trashed. Then again, I thought Qualcomm was a decent venue, so I’m obviously not in the demographic.

3. John said on Saturday, December 9, 2006, 14:38

As a venue it could work out pretty well, but concerts are meant for arenas intended for concerts or for large grass fields such as the polo fields that Coachella is held on… somewhere that can be trashed and cleaned up so that you’d never know the event took place. In my opinion balboa park has too many areas that don’t need drunk concert-comers and concert-leavers trampling around in.

The desire to hold it there really just has to be about the fact that they want it as close to downtown as possible. The stupid thing about having it at qualcomm was the loss of revenue from everyone who would have otherwise flooded the bars and clubs of downtown and the Gaslamp.

What was wrong with it at Petco?

4. David Duarte said on Sunday, December 10, 2006, 4:48

As a former resident of America’s finest city, I would prefer to see Balboa Park left out of the Street Scene relocation sites. I had lived in San Diego for 50 years, and in those years have enjoyed the laid back arts and programs and the summer weekend entertainers that frequent there for the locals and visitors.The Gaselamp from Broadway to the Convention Center seems to work out well with all the variety of businesses already there. The use of the Trooly is a plus to get to Downtown. Lets keep the Park and its Charm as it is.

5. sddrinkspecials said on Sunday, December 10, 2006, 12:41

I don’t think it matters where Street Scene is I am not going. It is not worth the cost in my opinion. The crowds suck and it is more of a hassle then a good time.

Looking for a cheap drink tonight, check out http://www.sddrinkspecials.com

6. John said on Monday, December 11, 2006, 13:47

Street Scene was named Street Scene because it was held on the streets of downtown. Moving it any where else is just plain stupid. Either keep the name Street Scene and keep Street Scene actually on the city streets or else rename it Park Scene or Crappy Old Stadium Scene.

7. Barb said on Tuesday, January 2, 2007, 22:03

I used to love the Street Scene, but now that they’re focusing on a younger crowd, I’m not into it anymore. I used to enjoy it downtown, and I’d always go for the reggae.

8. Heather B said on Sunday, January 21, 2007, 0:02

I have never been but i dont think i would care to see it in Balboa Park…

Why did they ever take it out of downtown anyhow?

9. John said on Monday, February 12, 2007, 8:49

Havent been to a street scene in about 6 years myself, The price got stupid,parking became rare,or 100 dollars a spot,Just a general rip off to the San Diego resident.Move it to the stadium? it became the stadium scene, Stupid.

10. Bri said on Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 13:32

Stadium? Balboa? What has this world come to? Put Street Scene in the streets. That’s what made it cool in the first place.

11. John Citizen said on Tuesday, April 1, 2008, 19:43

It is a shame that Alan Ziter a known meth addict and sexual predator would be allowed so close to schools and especially children involved in the arts. Jerimy Gaucher arrested for drunk driving and other violations is left in charge of the NTC education program.

I am sure the rest of the goings on behind the scenes at NTC would probably shock the city and the resident groups. Or maybe not. Perhaps the Mcmillin companies endorse such behavior.

I am afraid for the citizens and thier children.
    Its a shame.