Ask San Diego Blog: Places to Bike Ride Safely?

Thursday, September 14, 2006, 6:51 —by mas
This item was posted in Ask San Diego Blog, Biking in San Diego category and has 6 Comments so far.

Now that I’ve committed to a 50 mile bike in 2 weeks, I suppose I should train a little before the event.  :)

What are some good places in San Diego County to bike ride safely?  Ideal location would be away from traffic and tourists.

6 Responses to “Ask San Diego Blog: Places to Bike Ride Safely?”

1. Jed said on Thursday, September 14, 2006, 8:11

Oh man. Have fun! I love that ride. I’ve done the spring Rosarito-Ensenada ride for the past two years. It’s a glorious thing.

I always like to ride up the PCH from UTC up to, well, Oceanside if you feel up to it. You can get a bike map from Sandag. It’s not available online, but you can order Sandag’s San Diego bike map for free here.

2. Bart said on Thursday, September 14, 2006, 8:14

In town, the path from Mission Valley along the river is nice. You get on Friars for a short spell then can hop on the path all the way down to Dog Beach. Pretty fun ride.

A little more precarious is going from Normal Heights to downtown to the ferry and over to Coronado, where you can hit many different bike paths, one taking you clear down to Imperial Beach. Taking the ferry is the best part. It’s like being on vacation in your own town.

Way more precarious is taking your bike down to Borrego Springs and riding it out to Desert Shores at the Salton Sea. I’ve never done this, but I know a couple people who have that say it’s a pretty gruelling ride, but the reward is Captain Jim’s in Desert Shores. Then, I guess the other reward would be Carlee’s upon return. has lots of online maps as well as information on getting the free bike map of SD sent to you. I have this map and it’s a great resource.

3. Brian said on Thursday, September 14, 2006, 11:52

It can get a little monotonous if you do it too much, but Fiesta Island in Mission Bay is a good spot to get some miles in. It’s flat, mostly free of car traffic and totally free of lights and stop signs (which is a nice change from most city rides).

4. JeSais said on Friday, September 15, 2006, 8:17

a friend of mine trained for a century ride….She was already in shape physically, but needed what she called “butt miles”

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

5. Matt said on Sunday, December 13, 2009, 8:28

You can check out The Mappy Thing – – for san diego bike routes and rides for riders of all levels.

6. PatriciaAnn said on Friday, March 19, 2010, 9:48

Hi, I want to start getting into riding also. I have a good bike, but been injured and working too much and gained weight. Want to meet some people to ride with “safely” as that seems to be an issue these days about everything you do in life.