Reaction…Street Scene 2006

Monday, August 7, 2006, 23:52 —by chickrawker
This item was posted in San Diego Concerts and Music, San Diego Events category and has 7 Comments so far.

Sorry that I am a little late in starting this discussion. If you haven’t heard by now, there were some serious injuries at Street Scene. (Catdirt did a great job of summing up what happened and provided lots of links to local media coverage if you need to catch up.)

Let’s be realistic here. Festivals such as Street Scene will continue as long as promoters make money. People will argue that these types of incidences are rare and that for the most part, everything went well. There is also the spin that alcohol consumption contributed to the problems, but I can tell you that I was at SOMA last week at an all ages show and that mosh pit was seriously dangerous. People at shows can be stupid whether or not they touched a drop of alcohol.

So, what do you guys think? Can these types of injuries be prevented in general admission settings? What can you as a person at a show do to prevent these things from happening? What would you like to see promoters do? Inquiring minds want to know….

7 Responses to “Reaction…Street Scene 2006”

1. Sassy said on Tuesday, August 8, 2006, 7:34

If you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Ever been to a Slayer show? Now that’s a mosh pit.

2. JeSais said on Tuesday, August 8, 2006, 10:58

What can I do to prevent these things from happening? Well frankly there are some shows I just would not go to. And if there were not a safe place to be at a show I would leave. I’m not sure there’s much a promoter can do to prevent people from being stupid.

My question is, do the performers have any responsibility here?

3. lyn said on Tuesday, August 8, 2006, 11:04

I don’t think that the performers have responsibility.

Maynard from Tool repeatedly asked the crowd to step back. He actually stopped the band from playing for a bit so that people would do this.

Most bands can see that things are getting dangerous in the pit. 9 times out of 10, the lead singer will say something about taking care of each other. I’ve seen more than one artist stop a show to make sure things are cool in the pit.

And yeah, no one can prevent the stupid people from going to a show and making it bad for everyone else.

4. mikey said on Tuesday, August 8, 2006, 15:26

I wasn’t there, and really, I have no opinion about Street Scene specifically.

But. I do know that, no matter how “safe” you make something, someone will always find a way to get hurt. And not always on accident. Hey, some people believe that “safe” is boring, and they’ll do their best to overcome any safety precautions. Of course, these are usually the same people whose last words are “Hey, check this out! Watch me…”

It’s sad, but that’s just reality.

5. KirkH said on Tuesday, August 8, 2006, 15:42

I think we should ban music, especially music I don’t like. It will likely save countless lives. Oh and chainsaws too.

6. hank said on Friday, August 11, 2006, 11:35

Situations like the “trampling” at Streetscene can be avoided through the correct usage of barricade and security. Stage location, ground terrain and gradient also play a large part and should be considered closely when selecting a concert venue.

7. Christine said on Saturday, August 12, 2006, 10:22

Huge venue organizers have a lot of room for improvement. After almost getting squished to death in a crowd and missing the guy I went there to see, Street Scene just doesn’t appeal to me anymore.