Digital Video Camera

Monday, July 10, 2006, 14:08 —by JeSais
This item was posted in Ask San Diego Blog, General category and has 5 Comments so far.

5 Responses to “Digital Video Camera”

1. tony said on Monday, July 10, 2006, 14:48

Glad you asked!!! I have a SONY Handycam, and the viewfinder goes black and doesn’t record video after a year of use – almost a typical problem – see the thread

They’ll fix (after hoards of complaints threatened to burn down Sony HQ), but I wouldn’t go the SONY route again. Hope that helps – I enjoy your blog, I’m an SD ex-pat, born and raised in Chula Vista and I go to your site to walk down memory lane.

Best.

2. Kevin Tostado said on Monday, July 10, 2006, 15:56

I’ve actually not had too many problems with my Sony HandyCam (TRV-25) over the last few years other than the Firewire port stopped working because I jammed in the cable too hard.

If you’re looking for a prosumer level camera, the Panasonic AG-DVX100 series cameras are very dependable and economic. This is what I used to shoot my movie, Yellow Lights (yellowlightsmovie.com).

3. JeSais said on Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 9:40

This is so we can do some how-to video at work… my boss HAD Sony HandyCam that we were going to use, but the viewfinder went black and stopped working.

Anyone have any experience with Canon?

4. kevin baird said on Wednesday, July 12, 2006, 22:57

I have had no problems with either a TRV-9 (bought 1999 and still use) nor the venerable 3 chip version, the TRV-900 MiniDV tape camcorders.

Because of where I work, I’m interested in solid-state cameras that record discreet shots rather than long tape streams. Any suggestions there?

I’ve heard that the new mini-DVD disc recorders are lame. Their software is next to unusable,

Started to get interested in HDCAM or other 16:9 formats, but since most of my work is for the web, I’d rather keep travelling light for awhile until there’s a super compelling reason to upgrade everything — cam, decks, computers, harddrives, tripod, etc — appropriately.

5. Glen Brake said on Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 16:48