Ask San Diego Blog – Beach Security

Monday, June 26, 2006, 9:48 —by mas
This item was posted in Ask San Diego Blog category and has 7 Comments so far.

This question is for those of you that go to the San Diego beaches.  How do you secure your keys and wallet while you are in the water?  I’m going by myself today, so I can’t have someone watch my stuff.  What beaches have the highest and lowest theft rate?  Any tips to avoid becoming a crime victim on the beach?

7 Responses to “Ask San Diego Blog – Beach Security”

1. Bart said on Monday, June 26, 2006, 11:03

Bring a ziplock bag with you. Put your keys and wallet in the bag and bury them under your towel.

2. JeSais said on Monday, June 26, 2006, 11:37

I usually just toss my stuff half-hazardly under my towel, but I usually only have a wallet with only my ID and my keys… no cash … no credit cards.

Have fun!! I’m envious!

3. Monkey said on Monday, June 26, 2006, 13:29

I have trunks with a good secure pocket (and a string), just take the one car key you need and leave all other valuables in the car.
    Once I was at the beach, a guy was talking to his friends, his car had been stolen. Apparently somebody followed him down to the beach, watched where he stashed his keys, and then took his car while he was surfing. Under the towel might not be so secure!

4. Demon said on Monday, June 26, 2006, 17:29

I just let Gremory hold it. Who is Gremory? Gremory is a demon who appears as a beautiful woman riding on a Camel. She carries many treasures.

5. Joe Crawford said on Monday, June 26, 2006, 21:20

I used to have a keyring that was a little floatie, I put my key on that, then attach that to my trunks securely. I would leave the valuables out of site in the car somewhere, and away I go. Just take cash on the beach if I want to buy something or whatever. Never more than you’re willing to have stolen, and from the water, keep an eye on your stuff as best you can!

6. Bill said on Tuesday, June 27, 2006, 18:00

They need to focus on more zoo security to prevent this type of stuff from happening!

7. Bev said on Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 20:40

What if there was a way to lock up your valuables at the beach. Enjoy the beach with friends and never have to worried about them getting stolen. What would this be worth to you? Because I just invented something that does just that? You may see me on the Dragons Den! Let me know what you think?