San Diego Blog Layout Using Yahoo Grids CSS

Thursday, May 25, 2006, 17:17 —by Joe Crawford
This item was posted in Nerdy category and has 11 Comments so far.

Today I spent a little time tweaking the layout of the blog to take better advantage of screen real estate using the Yahoo UI Library Grids CSS. It’s pretty powerful stuff so far, and it seems to look fine in Safari, Firefox, and MSIE/Windows. San Diego Blog

How’s it look to you?

Yahoo! is doing some nice work, including blogging about their components.

I was prompted to make this change because whenever there was some funky markup, or a line was too long, or a comment was too long, the layout would tend to explode in Opera or MSIE/Windows, and that is so not cool.

So whatcha think?

11 Responses to “San Diego Blog Layout Using Yahoo Grids CSS”

1. MAS said on Thursday, May 25, 2006, 19:17

Yahoo! rocks. They are making some great tools available to developers. Nice job Joe! It’s too bad Yahoo! didn’t buy Blogger, instead of Google.

2. Joe Crawford said on Thursday, May 25, 2006, 23:50

Well, google is pretty cool too with their dev tools. I prefer their Mapping stuff to Yahoo!’s. That said, the competition between the two is awesome — keeps both on their toes and we, the developers, are the winners in that game!

3. Chuck said on Friday, May 26, 2006, 7:35

Looks good.

4. JeSais said on Friday, May 26, 2006, 10:26

I’m on IE…. and the stuff that is supposed to show up on the right column is shoved all the way down to the bottom… otherwise, fine I guess, though I’m not a developer, I just play one on tv.

5. Joe said on Friday, May 26, 2006, 10:35

Hrm. Maybe that was the Rock the Walk image. I’m not getting that effect on MSIE 6/Win2003.

6. JeSais said on Friday, May 26, 2006, 12:10

I’m on Ver. 6 too, but XP. hmmm…

7. JeSais said on Friday, May 26, 2006, 12:11

nevermind. it’s working now…. weird.

8. voicesd said on Friday, May 26, 2006, 22:06

Hi Joe! I am on Safari/Mac/os10 and your field form is running into the column on the right side (the list of archives). You may need to adjust. Otherwise I like the layout!

9. Joe Crawford said on Saturday, May 27, 2006, 14:14

Hey voicesd — i smallened (is that a word?) the textarea. Does that help any?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

10. Joyce said on Monday, May 29, 2006, 8:43

On the homepage, the left-hand column is all the way at the bottom when my screen is not fully maximized. Unfortunately I’ve read that most people surf that way.

11. voicesd said on Monday, May 29, 2006, 18:20

Hi! Yes, it’s fixed now. Happy Memorial Day.