Petula Clark

Thursday, April 13, 2006, 16:14 —by JeSais
This item was posted in General, Real Estate in San Diego, San Diego Events, San Diego History category and has 5 Comments so far.

5 Responses to “Petula Clark”

1. David Moye said on Friday, April 14, 2006, 7:47

Actually, the Petula Clark song that should be sung is “Don’t Sleep In The Subway, Darling.” San Diego doesn’t have a subway but the tune is better produced and has a lot of cool background vocals.

Petula Clark is an underrated artist.

2. Michael Allen Smith said on Friday, April 14, 2006, 9:24

As a resident of downtown in the heart of the Marina district and as someone who drives away from downtown to get to work, let me say I totally disagree with you.

Downtown SD can easily absorb 30,000 more people. Once the work day is over, downtown is a ghost town. Most people only see downtown during events, Gaslamp on the weekends or during the business day. Walk around on a Monday around 8 PM. Look up at the mostly empty condos owned as 2nd or investment properties.

Downtown is still serviced by just one full grocery store. Escondido has like 15.

Unlike North County, downtown residents have excellent choices in public transportation. I’d rather see the rough areas of East Village built out than see Poway or Carlsbad become as congested as Mission Valley.

3. JeSais said on Friday, April 14, 2006, 23:11

I actually spend a lot of time downtown, and not for events. My best friend lives on 9th and F and I go to a studio on 13th and F once a week for my Read and Critique group.

I totally agree with you about the sad state of grocery affairs, and the empty condos.

Public transport is great. I lived in Chicago for 6 years, and hardly ever drove my car… I was afraid I’d lose my parking spot! ha ha. But seriously, you could get anywhere pretty quickly on the El or the bus. If I could live downtown and take public trans to work, and get there in an hour or less I’d do it. I just don’t see that SD has “excellent choices in public transportation.” Maybe for certain areas of town… like along the trolley lines… but the buses are stuck in traffic too.

And I still say, improvement to the on/off ramps is sorely needed, especially since most of the good jobs are outside the city centre.

Other than the lack of grocery stores, and the empty evenings, do you like it downtown?

4. Michael Allen Smith said on Saturday, April 15, 2006, 6:48

By “excellent choices”, I meant downtown has excellent choices compared to North County. North County is too spread out to every have a realistic transit plan other than adding more lanes to the freeway. I can drive around downtown quicker than I can Mission Valley or San Marcos.

When I lived in Escondido there is a 20-30 minute wait outside the North County Fair Mall just to get onto the freeway each morning. There is nothing compariable to that downtown. I know of the most crowded ramp leaving downtown and it is easily avoided (get on Ash).

Downtown is OK so far. We need better shopping and more job opportunities. Both will come if the city can proceed with the build out of East Village. I’m just happy to be off the I-15 for the first time in 4.5 years!

5. john said on Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 2:34

spcccccccccccccccccsssssssss!!!!!!!!hear that sound? thats the sound of the Real Estate bubble over inflating and getting ready to burst. Contrary to what the so called professionals say about the market,(remember they make a living out of pushing this stuff,thell tell ya anything), its a great time to take it in the shorts on houseing.Lets examine the average 450 thousand dollar 2 bedroom condo. (if you were dumb enough to buy one), You will probably never make what you paid for it back, Chances are that if it was bought ,say a year ago, youve already lost 100 k in so called value. So slow down wait a year or two, You will get some excellent forclosure deals. This will also cull the agents who arnt on the up and up and leave some real pros behind.This is real.