San Diego Hardware packing up its old-time toolbox to leave downtown

Wednesday, January 25, 2006, 10:30 —by JeSais
This item was posted in General, San Diego History category and has 10 Comments so far.

10 Responses to “San Diego Hardware packing up its old-time toolbox to leave downtown”

1. Joe Crawford said on Wednesday, January 25, 2006, 10:42

They’re like… a San Diego institution!

Next closest hardware store I think must be a Home Depot — I think there’s one *waaaay* down broadway, or I suppose the one near the Sports Arena is close-ish too.

2. MAS said on Wednesday, January 25, 2006, 17:31

They have a map to the new store on their web site.

3. ArtLung Blog » Blog Archive » Things I Did Not Know, But Now Do. said on Thursday, January 26, 2006, 19:37

[...] San Diego Hardware is moving. via San Diego Blog via new writer over there JeSais. [...]

4. leahpeah said on Thursday, January 26, 2006, 19:37

I guess they figure that the Hillcrest Ace has it covered. Damn, I miss those commercials.

5. Steve Lewis said on Sunday, January 29, 2006, 15:33

I’ve known San Diego Hardware since moving here in 1981 and I’m sorry to see them move. Numberous times I found those hard-to-find screws, nuts or whatever in the basement even though I worried that it wasn’t so profittable for them. Things change and this one of those things that I wish didn’t. Many thanks to them for being there as long as they were.

6. Darz said on Sunday, January 29, 2006, 19:15

I am also sorry to see San Diego Hardware leave downtown.

7. Nergock said on Monday, January 30, 2006, 13:22

Does anyone know where they are moving to? Also the website no longer work. Thanks.

8. JeSais said on Monday, January 30, 2006, 13:28

I believe they are moving to Kearny Mesa area… Also, from what I have heard from others, they really didn’t sell a lot of “hardware” in the True Value, hammers and nails kinda way… more geared to contractors and designers and remodelers.

I still think those downtowners need a hardware store, not to mention more than one grocery store!

9. San Diego Blog :: Blog Archive » Downtown to get 2nd Grocery Store said on Thursday, October 19, 2006, 8:08

[...] In a follow-up to our May 2006 discussion Nearly Empty Downtown and a few comments, downtown San Diego will finally be getting a 2nd grocery store. This Friday at 7:45 AM there will a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Albertsons. The new grocery store will be on the corner of 14th Street and Market. That is the south east edge of East Village. [...]

10. Rosie said on Tuesday, March 6, 2007, 2:07

I thank you for your comment.