San Diego Earthquake

Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 7:20 —by Joe Crawford
This item was posted in General category and has 12 Comments so far.

This post is older so for the latest San Diego earthquake info click here.

There was a 3.9 tremblor this morning at 4:09am. Did you feel it? Did it wake you up? Comment on the earthquake in San Diego, below.

12 Responses to “San Diego Earthquake”

1. Martin Chevalier said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 8:33

It was sharp, quick, vertical. Felt like it was under my bed. My clock said nearer to 4am. Don’t see anything on my Yahoo home page, media.

2. route66 said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 8:50

Yes! One loud bang followed by some smaller tremors.

3. Justin Morrison said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 10:40

Yes, I was dreaming something mild and awoke suddenly to a rather loud rumble, followed by windows shaking and then calm. The clock read a few minutes after 4am. Within 10 seconds I had planned where to crouch, somewhere capable of breaking of the fall of the ceiling while perhaps leaving a “safe zone”, if this was to be a premonition of a larger quake. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps I should put some pants on in preparation.

Took me a while to get back to sleep after that.

4. Bernie Dodge said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 11:44

Funny, it never occurred to me to jump under a doorway or table. I guess I’m getting blasé about these things. When I first moved here in 1980, I’d jump every time I heard any sharp sound.

The experience here in Del Cerro was much as Justin described: a loud rumble, followed by 10-15 seconds of jitter and window rattling. I turned on KOGO and listened to people calling in from all over. Some heard rumbling before the big jolt, others described it as slow swaying. Location, location, location. My blog entry is at

It would be interesting to see a listing of other blogger accounts, aside from the comments here.

5. jellyphysh said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 12:09

I felt it out here at the coast, too. (North County)

Just one quick jolt that rattled the windows. But enough to make me think about ducking under the dining room table …

6. ShakenButNotStirred said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 14:33

The PB experience: I think I slept through the first few seconds of the event. What woke me up was the sensation of being of my bed being vertically lifted as it pitched slightly to my left.

Quick to consciousness I knew immediately what was occurring however I did not posess the presence of mind to seek refuge. I just sort of laid there as the 5-6 seconds of shaking continued. I didn’t hear any window rattling, however it felt as if the entire apartment complex was in a heaving mode, the noise escalated the longer it shook. My decision point to run never happened because the shaking stopped by then.

I rolled over and took note of the timd: 4:06am.

This experience was much more pleasant than the last time I went through a rumbler. I was up in the Northwest: Minding my own business while sitting on the toilet preparing for dump when all of a sudden an earthquake decided to interrupt and practically knocked me off my throne.

7. Tom said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 17:48

Felt it for sure, I thought I was drunk….

8. Wired Dude said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 22:30

I felt it in Mission Valley. Didn’t really think it was an earthquake, sounded more like a sonic boom. I remember the windows shaking. My wife and I awoke, and so did our dog. I thought about going online to check if it was an earthquake, but figured I could wait until the morning.

I posted it on my blog: http://www.wireddude.com

9. Jessica said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 22:31

I felt it! 4am here in san ysidro california! right by the border. omg it was maybe for like 1.5 seconds. and when i told my mom about it this morning she didnt believe me!! but i KNEW it happened! my room looked sideways for a second and it was one big rumble and it stopped.

10. Jessica said on Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 22:32

oh yah and my dog woke up too! thats how i knew i wasnt the only one either :)

11. MAS said on Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 7:39

Woke me up out by the Wild Animal Park.

12. Carrie said on Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 13:36

That was the night I took sominex.. so I didn’t feel a THING. :) I got an email about it the next morning from the earthquake service thingy.