Gaslamp Pedestrian Walkway

Tuesday, September 14, 2004, 10:59 —by oso
This item was posted in General category and has 8 Comments so far.

A caller on These Days just proposed closing off 4th and 5th Avenues in Gaslamp to auto traffic and turning them into pedestrian walkways. I think this is a great idea and could turn Gaslamp into a much more enjoyable area like Santa Monica’s Third Avenue Promenade.

What do you think?

8 Responses to “Gaslamp Pedestrian Walkway”

1. Chris Nelson said on Tuesday, September 14, 2004, 11:44

Sounds good to me. Hell, they should bring back the trolley.

2. Derek said on Tuesday, September 14, 2004, 13:42

Not a bad idea, although it would have to be open at least parts of the day for deliveries, etc. — and they’d have to have a really good system for emergency/law enforcement vehicle access (although the cops could use horses, I guess). Almost seems like it would be too much trouble, and I’m not sure the businesses would go for it.

Maybe just on weekend nights?

(One thing they should definitely do is make more diagonal crossings, instead of just at Market and 5th, if we’re talking about pedestrian ease and enjoyment.)

3. MAS said on Tuesday, September 14, 2004, 14:54

Tampa’s Ybor City closes off 7th Ave on weekend nights. Memphis does the same with it’s
    Beale Street. Gaslamp should follow suit.

4. Joshua said on Tuesday, September 14, 2004, 16:19

This really is a great idea. I heard the same program today and was in agreement. The area is too congested right now. I avoid the whole place especially on weekends just due to traffic. If they could come up with a good system of parking and pedestrian access, I would see this as a huge improvement. Imagine being able to enjoy the gaslamp without getting stressed about getting in and out.

5. jennifer said on Tuesday, September 14, 2004, 23:14

i remember when i lived in l.a. i really enjoyed the santa monica promenade. i think the gaslamp could definitely use a similar area. i think if sd took cues from la, there would definitely be ways of addressing those issues brought up by derek. la does it just fine and the up shot for those businesses on the promenade is that the backs of those stores and shops face an alley. i’m sure that we’re industrious enough to figure that out. hell, we figured out a way to pay for a ball park that was completely not needed!

6. spaazlicious said on Wednesday, September 15, 2004, 7:33

I think it’s a great idea, especially since the streets are pretty much impassable as it is now. De

7. Joe Crawford said on Wednesday, September 15, 2004, 10:17

Yeah, I’m with y’all. It’s effectively a walking district — and should be made into a “downtown mall” type area. I think it would be good. As to the service issues – businesses adapt to changes like this. I’ve seen it in a few “former-streets-now-malls” areas. The ones foremost in my mind are, yes, the Santa Monica Promenade, but also Charlottesville, Virginia’s downtown.

8. oso said on Thursday, September 16, 2004, 9:45

Is this something worth presenting to City Council? Has anyone been through that process before?