San Diego Earthquake!

Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 15:31 —by Joe Crawford
This item was posted in General category and has 29 Comments so far.

This post is older so for the latest San Diego earthquake info click here.

We just had a quake here. Biggest in my memory. I’m just outside downtown San Diego and we had sustained rumbling for a few seconds. The real deal.

It looks like it’s not this one.

It appears to be this one: centered offshore: via Southern California Earthquake Data Center:

A moderate earthquake occurred at 22:28:49 (UTC) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004. The magnitude 5.2 event has been located OFFSHORE BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO. The hypocentral depth was poorly constrained.

San Diego Bloggers feel it here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here.

Is this the quake predicted by Vladimir Keilis-Borok? And USGS on the prediction
See also: Recent Earthquakes in California and Nevada
signonsandiego.com (the SDUT) is VERY slow, presumably as everyone stampedes to get the news from our hometown paper.
Subscribe to Southern California quake alerts at USGS

UPDATE: New York Newsday has a good piece on the quake, as does the San Diego Daily Transcript.

UPDATE 18 June 04: I was curious about previous quakes in San Diego, and did some digging on the San Diego Historical Society.

Listed below are the major earthquakes that occurred in California, Nevada and Baja, California from 1769 to present. The list includes all known earthquakes with a magnitude of at least 6 and selected smaller events.

• November 22, 1800 – 6.5 San Diego region
  • May 27, 1862 – 6.0 – San Diego region
  • October 23, 1894 5.75 – E. of San Diego

The 1862 quake is referred to here as a “Day of Terror” by an A.A. Ensworth, a man with no regular source of income, apparently. He did so in correspondence between Ensworth and Thomas Whaley. In this image is a sketch of the damage to the Whaley house. Rather underwhelming.

For California, San Diego seems historically to be less seismically active than San Francisco or Los Angeles, not to mention the rest of California – at least for larger quakes. There are several places on the sandiegohistory site that indicate many transplants to San Diego did so because of the 1906 quake in San Francisco.

29 Responses to “San Diego Earthquake!”

1. mikey said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 16:09

felt it in la jolla, too. dunno which one, though. kinda reminds me of home – we’d get quakes all the time in alaska…

2. mikey said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 16:11

hello, put a freakin coherent sentence together. I don’t know which quake we felt here in La Jolla…

3. Joe Crawford said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 16:22

Heh. thanks for the comments mikey. It’s really neat to see all the bloggers posting right after. Gotta love the compulsive bloggers!

4. Carrie said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 16:28

Heh.. I just asked you where you were from in my comments. :) My mom used to live in Alaska I had no idea it was earthquake-prone.

Up to the minute earth-quake news within seconds by San Diego Bloggers.. lol

The comments entry box goes under the right nav, btw.. WAY off the edge of my screen.. :)

5. Erin said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 16:36

sh*t howdy – i immediately put my meds in the backpack, eyed by cat carrier and then…put on my pants. Where are my priorities?

6. Brian Dear said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 20:52

Not enough “here” links in the original blog entry above.

How about one more? It’s here :-)

7. Gabriel said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 21:42

felt it in newport beach, strong enough to move my 16 story brick/glass at fashion island. kind of reminded me of one that woke me up when stationed at NTC back around 92.

8. Warthog said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 23:13

In Clairemont I heard my windows suddenly rattle loudly and my dog ran to the door barking but I thought it was just a strong gust of wind.

9. A Joshua Tree In Every Pot said on Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 23:15

San Diego earthquake
    The San Diego bloggers are all over this one, but up on the second floor in Irvine (due north of the epicenter in this picture) it felt like the shockwave from a low flying supersonic airplane. Just one big *WHUUMPPpppppp*…

10. Dwayne "the canoe guy" said on Wednesday, June 16, 2004, 6:37

An observation from Oklahoma, the nice thing about tornados vs earthquakes: You never have to guess which one hit you.

11. MAS said on Wednesday, June 16, 2004, 7:13

Nothing out here by the Wild Animal Park. I think last years fires scared it away. :)

12. daniel said on Thursday, June 22, 2006, 15:25

im afraid its going to happend here in san diego but i live in imperial beach do you think qe are goin to fell it ?

13. debra said on Thursday, August 30, 2007, 3:05

I just felt an earthquake in my beach cottage zip 92107 Ocean Beach. It had to be big somewhere for my couch to move and the wall made cracking noises. (around 2:55am 8/30/07)

14. Evelyn said on Thursday, August 30, 2007, 8:44

I felt an earthquake in Point Loma at 2:55 pm also. My couch was shaking and woke me up.

15. Matt said on Sunday, September 2, 2007, 10:31

Just fely a rumbler here in Poway. Lasted a few seconds.

16. jts said on Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 8:03

mira mesa just shook for about 10 seconds pretty good rumble but no appearant damage

17. debra said on Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 8:04

The earthquake woke me up this morning in OB and I turned on the news at 8am and they said it was a 4pt 7 miles SW off the coast of La Jolla. They said it was pretty much in the same place as the one last Thursday.

18. Felipe said on Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 10:41

We felt it today near the San Diego Airport, it shook a second floor conference room for 5-10 seconds.

19. Allie said on Wednesday, September 5, 2007, 1:38

There have been 10 earthquakes near the La Jolla area in the last 24 hours. The largest magnitude appears to have been 4.0 at about 8 am this morning (Sept 4.th) For up to the minute (well within 5 minutes of a quake at least) information on quakes, see: http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html

I think it’s weird. It’s the most activity that La Jolla’s seen in a while, and in the mean time, the La Jolla quakes started just prior to the biggest heat wave we’ve had in a while. I’m no geologist or meteorologist, but could they be related ya think?

20. Neil said on Thursday, September 13, 2007, 23:22

Felt Earthquake on Sat last at 6:00 AM in OB – Dogs nearby were barking then neighbour yelled to stop then Earthquake -
    Tonight also felt ripple in OB at around 10 PM – is this significant for something larger? – not use to EQ’s – just moved here from Ireland

21. Carlos said on Sunday, September 30, 2007, 11:13

In Hillcrest last night (Sunday around 2:15 am) I felt a strong shock moving the floor and the walls of the apartment. The shock wave seemed to come from the West-NorthWest direction. It lasted only about one-and-a-half seconds. I immediately thought “earthquake,” and the only other possibility that came to mind was a big military explosion.

22. kathryn antonson said on Monday, February 11, 2008, 21:56

just move in the de anza park and today i came home from walking and i flet a small earthquake, and them i for tonight i felt another one , kathryn atnoson

23. MIllie said on Wednesday, March 5, 2008, 16:07

Is there a chance San Diego could be hit by a big one like San Fran? We are moving to SD this summer and I have slight concern.

24. Pages tagged "earthquake" said on Wednesday, March 5, 2008, 20:32

[...] tagged earthquakeOwn a WordPress blog? Make monetization easier with the WP Affiliate Pro plugin. Comment on San Diego Earthquake! by MIllie saved by 9 others     morbeck bookmarked on 03/05/08 | [...]

25. David S said on Saturday, March 22, 2008, 1:30

Just felt an earthquake in Escondido. It rattled windows and doors. A few car alarms went off.

26. san diego earthquake said on Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 23:01

[...] We just had a quake here. Biggest in my memory. I??m just outside downtown san diego and we had … http://sandiegoblog.com/archives/2004/06/15/san-diego-earthquake-2/Loudspeaker History… moving-coil loudspeaker they called the &quotMagnavox&quot that was used by [...]

27. yancy said on Thursday, October 9, 2008, 18:10

i wan to know if you know if there are any upcoming earthquakes that we havent heard about my mom thinks thinks that there is one coming soon and she recently started to buy lots of food!! so can you pleas help me i would really aprecate it!

28. carlos said on Monday, April 5, 2010, 14:40

It came in hard down town San diego

29. thomas mitchell said on Sunday, June 13, 2010, 16:46

THE FIRST THING YOU GRAB SHOULD BE YOUR SHOES. After an earthquake you’ll need to do some serious moving and if you think you can do it barefoot you’re a better man than I. Take it from an earthquake veteran ‘ 71 through to the present.